I promised that after three weeks I would give an HONEST review of VocabularySpellingCity, and fortunately, I am able to give an honest, rave, review! There are so many ways you can use this site, too many for me to mention. (Scroll down to view overview in Youtube video.) However, I will share some of the ways I have used it in my classroom. Keep in mind, I have only used it for the last few weeks, so I am still learning all the ins and outs. Keep in mind, some of the items listed below are free, and others are part of premium access.
- You can set up individual student accounts.
- Instruction can be differentiated.
- LOVE the fact that I can input my own words. (Reading, Math, Science, you name it, you can input it.)
- Games/tests/tutorials/flash cards/ writing practice are created using the lists that you input. (talk about saving time)
- You can view the assignments that were completed, who completed them, and how well they scored.
- Reports and grades are generated for given assignments. (All this information can be printed)
- There are TONS of lists in every subject already created. (Why reinvent the wheel?)
- My students love to get on this site and “play” the games. (Aaaah, learning + fun, doncha love it?)
- They are part of the Edmodo community (Sharing great ideas with great teachers)
- There are so many games to choose from!
- The price for premium membership is reasonable, especially if purchased by your school.
After requesting money to pay for a yearly subscription to another site, my principal stated, “I see you have a passion for technology. Let’s sit down at the end of the year and decide what we can purchase for the school for the next school year.” (BIG smile on my face). VocabularySpellingCity will definitely be on my list!